- Products ProductsPI is a worldwide leading supplier of solutions in the fields of motion and positioning. PI does not only develop and produce a broad range of positioning stages and actuators for linear, rotary and vertical motion or combinations of different axes. PI also adapts those solutions to customer-specific applications or supplies finished subsystems for motion and positioning.
- New Products New Products
- Product Finder Product Finder
- Customized Products Customized Products
- Nanopositioning Piezo Flexure Stages Nanopositioning Piezo Flexure Stages
- Multi-Axis Piezo Flexure Stages Multi-Axis Piezo Flexure Stages
- PIFOC® Objective & PInano® Sample Scanners for Microscopy PIFOC® Objective & PInano® Sample Scanners for Microscopy
- Linear Piezo Flexure Stages Linear Piezo Flexure Stages
- XY Piezo Flexure Stages XY Piezo Flexure Stages
- Piezo Flexure Tilting Mirrors Piezo Flexure Tilting Mirrors
- Multi-Axis Piezo Flexure Stages
- Miniature Stages Miniature Stages
- Miniature Linear Stages Miniature Linear Stages
- Miniature Rotation Stages Miniature Rotation Stages
- Miniature Hexapods Miniature Hexapods
- Miniature Linear Stages
- Linear Stages Linear Stages
- Stages with PIMag® Magnetic Direct-Drive Linear Motor Stages with PIMag® Magnetic Direct-Drive Linear Motor
- Stages with Stepper, DC & Brushless DC (BLDC) Motors Stages with Stepper, DC & Brushless DC (BLDC) Motors
- Vertical Stages with Stepper, DC & Brushless DC (BLDC) Motors Vertical Stages with Stepper, DC & Brushless DC (BLDC) Motors
- Miniature Linear Stages Miniature Linear Stages
- Stages with PIMag® Magnetic Direct-Drive Linear Motor
- Linear Actuators Linear Actuators
- PiezoMike for Long-Term Stability PiezoMike for Long-Term Stability
- Linear Actuators with Stepper & DC Servo Motors Linear Actuators with Stepper & DC Servo Motors
- PIMag® VC Voice Coil Actuators with High Dynamics & Force Control Option PIMag® VC Voice Coil Actuators with High Dynamics & Force Control Option
- PiezoMove Lever Actuators PiezoMove Lever Actuators
- Nanopositioning Piezo Actuators Nanopositioning Piezo Actuators
- PiezoWalk® Actuators with High Force & Stability PiezoWalk® Actuators with High Force & Stability
- PIRest Active Piezo Shims PIRest Active Piezo Shims
- PiezoMike for Long-Term Stability
- Rotation Stages Rotation Stages
- XY Stages XY Stages
- Hexapods Hexapods
- Engineered Subsystems for Automation Engineered Subsystems for Automation
- Fast Multi-Channel Photonics Alignment Fast Multi-Channel Photonics Alignment Systems
- Motion Control Software Motion Control SoftwareAll digital controllers made by PI are accompanied by an extensive software package.
- Concepts Concepts
- User Programs and Their Functions User Programs and Their Functions
- Software Tools for Hexapods Software Tools for Hexapods
- Programming Programming
- Third Party Support Third Party Support
- Controllers & Drivers Controllers & Drivers
- Nanopositioning Piezo Controllers Nanopositioning Piezo Controllers
- Piezo Drivers for Open-Loop Operation of Piezo Actuators Piezo Drivers for Open-Loop Operation of Piezo Actuators
- Motion Controllers & Drivers for Linear, Torque, Stepper & DC Servo Motors Motion Controllers & Drivers for Linear, Torque, Stepper & DC Servo Motors
- Controllers & Drivers for Piezomotors Controllers & Drivers for Piezomotors
- Controller Systems for Multiple Axes & Mixed Drive Types Controller Systems for Multiple Axes & Mixed Drive Types
- Hexapod Motion Controllers Hexapod Motion Controllers
- Nanopositioning Piezo Controllers
- Piezoelectric Transducers & Actuators Piezoelectric Transducers & Actuators
- Air Bearings & Stages Air Bearings & Stages
- Sensors, Components & Accessories Sensors, Components & Accessories
- New Products
- OEM OEMCustomer- and application-specific product developments form the basis for success at PI. To this purpose, requirements have to be understood and a technological solution has to be found.
- ApplicationsApplications & Markets
- Hexapods Support Industrial Robots Hexapods Support Industrial Robots
- Scientific Instrumentation Scientific Instrumentation
- Hexapod Systems for ALMA Hexapod Systems for ALMA
- Double-Crystal Monochromator Double-Crystal Monochromator for an X-Ray Spectrometer
- Materials Research in High Vacuum Materials Research in High Vacuum
- Active Vibration Isolation with Piezo Actuators Active Vibration Isolation with Piezo Actuators
- Drive Technology for the ELT Drive Technology for the ELT
- Hexapod Systems for ALMA
- Semiconductor Technology Semiconductor Technology
- Microscopy Microscopy
- Confocal Microscopy Adjustment of the Focal Planes in Confocal Microscopy
- Positioning Solutions for Total Internal Reflection Fluorescence Microscopy (TIRFM) Positioning Solutions for Total Internal Reflection Fluorescence Microscopy (TIRFM)
- High-Speed Microscopy High-Speed Microscopy for Quality Control
- Atomic Force Microscopy AFM Scanner for Atomic Force Microscopy
- White Light Interferometry 3-D Surface Inspection With Piezo-Based Positioning Systems from PI
- Confocal Microscopy
- Silicon Photonics Silicon Photonics
- Photonics Packaging Automated Photonics Packaging
- Optical Fiber Alignment Simultaneous Testing of Optical Components in Silicon Photonics
- Photonics Packaging
- Medical Technology Medical Technology
- Endoscopy Chip-on-the-Tip Video Endoscopes with Miniature Drives
- Ophthalmology High-Precision Drives in Ophthalmic Surgery
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging Nonsensitive Drives for Magnetic Resonance Tomography
- Optical Coherence Tomography Piezo Technology and Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT)
- Pipetting Piezomotors for Pipetting and Nanodispensing
- Precision Dosing Dynamic Drives for Precision Dosing with Nanodispensers
- Micropumps Piezoelectric Micropumps – Compact Design and High Performance
- Image Stabilization Image Stabilization and Microscanning with Piezo Scanners
- Adaptive Diaphragm Positioning Adaptive Diaphragm Positioning
- Materials Research Materials Research
- Parallel Kinematics for Materials Research High-Load Parallel Kinematics for Materials Research
- Laser Beam Control Piezo Drives for Laser Beam Control
- Parallel Kinematics for Materials Research
- Mechanical Engineering Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Discharge Machining Piezo Actuators Accelerate Electrical Discharge Machining
- Hexapods in Mechanical Engineering Hexapods in Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Discharge Machining
- Automation Automation
- Smarter Motion Positioning Smarter Motion Positioning
- Hexapods in Microproduction Hexapods in Microproduction
- Hexapods for Quality Assurance Hexapods for Quality Assurance
- Magnetic Direct Drives Magnetic Direct Drives
- Motion Simulation with Hexapods Motion Simulation with Hexapods
- Flexibility in Dimensional Measuring Hexapod Systems in Automation
- Motion Compensation with Hexapods Motion Compensation with HexapodsDynamic hexapods with piezo drives: Best conditions for motion compensation.
- Fast Piezo Ultrasonic Drives Advance Technology Fast Piezo Ultrasonic Drives Advance Technology
- Laser Material Processing Laser Material Processing
- Hexapods for Optical Metrology Hexapods Support Precise Measurement of Aspheres
- Smarter Motion Positioning
- Beamline Instrumentation Beamline Instrumentation
- Tomography Equipment Tomography Equipment
- Synchrotron Spectroscopy in Vacuum Synchrotron Spectroscopy in Vacuum
- Beam Preparation Beam Preparation
- Sample Positioning for Tomography Sample Positioning for Tomography
- Microscopy Microscopy
- Accelerator Technology Accelerator Technology
- Tomography Equipment
- Vacuum Vacuum Compatible Linear & Rotary Stages, UHV Positioners
- Additive Manufacturing Additive Manufacturing
- TechnologyKnow-How & TechnologyPhysik Instrumente (PI) provides several linear motor techologies, e.g., ironless linear motors for applications requiring high dynamics and accuracy.
- Piezo Technology Piezo Technology
- Fundamentals of Piezo Technology Fundamentals of Piezo TechnologyPhysical basics and explanations of piezo electricity and electromechanics.
- Properties of Piezo Actuators Properties of Piezo Actuators
- Piezoceramic Materials Piezoceramic MaterialsPI Ceramic offers a variety of different piezoelectric materials including lead-free materials.
- Manufacturing Technology Manufacturing Technology
- PICMA® Technology PICMA® Technology
- Integrated Piezo Actuators Integrated Piezo Actuators
- DuraAct Patch Transducer Technology DuraAct Patch Transducer Technology
- PIRest Actuators PIRest ActuatorsActive shims with long-term stability and nanometer resolution.
- Fundamentals of Piezo Technology
- Piezoelectric Drives Piezoelectric Drives
- Piezo Actuators Piezo Actuators with and without Guiding
- PiezoWalk® Walking Drives PiezoWalk® Walking Drives
- PILine® Ultrasonic Piezomotors PILine® Ultrasonic Piezomotors
- Piezo Inertia Drives Piezo Inertia Drives
- PiezoMike Linear Actuators PiezoMike Linear Actuators
- Comparison: Piezo Motors & Drive Technologies Comparison: Piezo Motors & Drive Technologies
- Piezo Actuators
- Electromagnetic Drives Electromagnetic Drives
- Rotating Electric Motors Rotating Electric Motors from PI
- PIMag® Magnetic Direct Drives PIMag® Magnetic Direct Drives
- PIMag® 6-D Magnetic Levitation PIMag® 6-D Magnetic Levitation at Six Levels of Freedom
- Hybrid Concept Piezo & Motor Hybrid Concept
- Rotating Electric Motors
- Parallel Kinematics Parallel Kinematics
- Parallel Kinematics Piezo Positioning Systems with Parallel KinematicsIn a parallel-kinematic, multi-axis system, all actuators act directly on a single moving platform.
- Multi-Axis Positioners Multi-Axis Positioners and Stewart Platforms
- Hexapod as Motion Simulator Hexapod as Motion SimulatorMotion simulators have higher motion dynamics requirements (shakers).
- Parallel Kinematics
- Sensor Technologies Sensor Technologies
- Capacitive Sensors Capacitance Nanosensors
- Incremental Sensors Linear Scale Encoders for Nanometrology & Nanopositioning
- PIOne Optical Nanometrology Encoder PIOne Optical Nanometrology Encoder
- Comparison: Position Sensor Technologies Comparison: Nanopositioning Sensor Technologies
- Capacitive Sensors
- Controllers & Software Controllers & Software
- Digital & Analog Interfaces Digital & Analog Interfaces
- EtherCAT Connectivity of PI Products EtherCAT Connectivity of PI Products
- Control of Piezo Actuators Piezo Controllers & Drivers for Nanopositioning Systems
- Digital Motion Controllers Digital Motion Controllers
- Digital & Analog Interfaces
- Guiding Systems & Force Transmission Guiding Systems & Force Transmission
- Classical Guiding Systems Comparison: Classical Guiding Systems and Force Transmission
- Flexure Guiding Systems Flexure Guiding Systems for Nanopositioning & Piezo Actuators
- Magnetic Bearings Magnetic Levitation & Precision Bearings for NanopositioningMagnetic levitation allows excellent guiding accuracy in a plane, both linear and rotational.
- PIglide Air Bearing Technology PIglide Air Bearing TechnologyMulti-axis motion with nanometer precision and without friction.
- Classical Guiding Systems
- Vacuum Vacuum Compatible Linear & Rotary Stages, UHV Positioners
- Glossary PI Glossary for Technical TermsFind useful explanations of technical terms in the PI Glossary.
- SupportSupportOnline services from PI UK.
- On-Site Services On-Site Services
- Extended Warranty Extended Warranty
- Contracted Services Contracted Services
- Expert Consultancy from PI Expert Consultancy from PI
- Ask an Engineer! Ask an Engineer!
- Downloads Downloads
- Product Documentation & Software Product Documentation & SoftwareUser manuals, technical notes, datasheets, CAD files for download.
- Catalogs, Brochures & Certificates Catalogs, Brochures & CertificatesFind brochures, catalogs and certificates for download.
- Whitepapers & Success Stories Whitepapers & Success StoriesFind whitepapers and success stories for download.
- Product Documentation & Software
- Connect with PI Connect with PI
- News & EventsNews & EventsLatest news and global trade fairs.
- News & Press News & PressLatest news on PI UK and PI global: Browse our news archive
- Trade fairs & Events Trade fairs & Events
- Lunch and Learn Lunch and LearnLearn in technical educational seminars from experts how our products & technologies work.
- PI Youtube Channel Subscribe to our Youtube ChannelFind videos about our products, technologies and applications.
- About PI UKAbout PI UKPI UK, based in the Technology Park alongside Cranfield University (Bedfordshire).
- Technology Center Technology Center
- Fractal Manufacturing Structure at PI Fractal Manufacturing Structure at PI
- Metrology Metrology
- Manufacturing in Cleanrooms at PI Manufacturing in Cleanrooms at PI
- Heavy Load Hall Heavy Duty Hall for Positioning Systems Weighing Several Tons
- Certified Quality Certified Quality
- The PI Group The PI Group
- About PI miCos PI miCos GmbH, Germany
- PI Worldwide PI Worldwide
- How to Get to PI UK How to Get to PI UKOn this site you find our adress data and a Google Maps plugin to plan your route.
- Customer Testimonials Customer Testimonials
- PI UK BlogPI UK BlogFind news on products, technologies and applications, and information on trade fairs and other events.
- Contact Us
Motor-spindle combinations convert the rotary motion of the motor into linear motion, whereby the response times are delayed due to the backlash between the mechanical components. Drives such as PILine® however generate linear motion directly, with greater stability and less inertia.
PILine® drives dispense with the mechanical complexity of classical rotary motor/gear/spindle combinations in favor of costs and reliability. These components can be very susceptible to wear, especially in miniaturized systems.
Inducing a Rotary Motion
Small rotary stages with a diameter of 20 mm or 30 mm use a ring-shaped actuator. This type of drive achieves very high speeds of more than two revolutions per second. The holding torque is approximately 30 mNm.
Preloading the piezoceramic actuators against the runner ensures self-locking of the drive when at rest and powered down. As a result, it does not consume any power, does not heat up, and keeps the position mechanically stable. Applications with a low duty cycle that are battery operated or heat sensitive benefit from these characteristics.
Service Life and Reliability
The motion of the piezoceramic actuator is based on crystalline effects and is not subject to any wear. The coupling to the runner, on the other hand, is subject to friction effects. Depending on the operating mode, travel distances over 2,000 km or a MTBF of 20.000 hours are achieved.
Piezo Motors for All Applications
Piezomotors from PI are vacuum compatible in principle and suitable for operation under strong magnetic fields. Special versions of the drives are available for this purpose.
Low Profile Height
The benefits of the small design height of the PILine® drives becomes apparent with positioning systems such as the M-687 microscope cross table (25 mm height): A consistently flat design without spindle channels or flanged motors.
Dynamics in Use
The direct-driven, robust design and fast response times of the piezo ceramics allows for very fast start / stop behavior and velocities to several 100 mm/s.
Slow Travel with PILine®
The demand for faster scanning speeds or greater throughputs characterizes only some of the applications in microscopy. Others demand high-resolution motion at low, constant speeds.
Stages with PILine® drives can be equipped with PIOne sensors and can achieve resolution in the range of single nanometers. Special control and regulation processes then provide constant speeds in the range of single encoder counts per second.
Poster: PI Piezomotor TechnologySelection guide for the best solutionPOS14EEnglish
Whitepaper: Reliability of PILine® ComponentsLifetime, Wear and Reliability of PILine® SystemsWP4002English
Whitepaper: Advanced Positioning with PILine®Positioning Capabilities of PILine® ComponentsWP4000 R1English
Brochure: PILine® Ultrasonic PiezomotorsSmall, High-Speed and Cost-EfficientBRO47English
PI owns the following patents or patent applications for the technology field Ultrasonic Piezo Motors (PILine®):
DE102004024656A1, DE102004044184B4, DE102004059429B4, DE102005010073A1, DE102005039357B4, DE102005039358A1, DE102006041017B4, DE102008012992A1, DE102008023478A1, DE102008058484A1, DE102010022812A1, DE102010047280A1, DE102010055848, DE102011075985A1, DE102011082200A1, DE102011087542B3, DE102011087542B3, DE102011087801B4, DE102011108175, DE102012201863B3, DE19522072C1, DE19938954A1
EP0789937B1 EP1210759B1, EP1267425B1, EP1581992B1, EP1656705B1, EP1747594B1, EP1812975B1, EP1861740B1, EP1915787B2, EP1938397B1, EP2095441B1, EP2130236B1, EP2153476B1, EP2164120B1, EP2258004B1, EP2608286A2
US2010/0013353A1, US5872418A, US6765335B2, US6806620B1, US6806620B1, US7218031B2, US7598656B2, US7737605B2, US7795782B2, US7834518B2, US7973451B2, US8253304B2, US8344592B2, US8482185B2
JP2011514131, JP2011522506, JP3804973B2, JP4377956, JP4435695, JP4477069, JP4598128, JP4617359, JP4620115, JP4648391, JP4860862, JP4914895, JP2013539346
ZL200380108542.0, ZL200580015994.3, ZL200580029560.9, ZL200580036995.6, ZL200680007223.4, ZL200680030007.1, ZL200680042853.5
- International patent applications
WO2009059939A2, WO2010121594A1, WO2012048691A2, WO2012113394A1, WO2012155903A1, WO2013034146A3, WO2013117189A2